Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Required Reading



I've spent the last few months learning how to make yeast breads. I'm starting to get the hang of it. One thing I've learned is that it's as much art as science.  How it looks is almost as important as how it tastes.  The braided challah I made last week was the first loaf I'd made where it came out of the oven and I (and my better half, whose opinion is more important) went wow, that looks really good.

To that end I'm going to attempt to take it to the next level.  Last spring I bought The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. This book is a great read as well as a super source of recipes. I'd recommend it to anyone wishing to get their feet wet in bread baking.  Thousands, if not tens of thousands of cooks have taken part in bread baking challenges from recipes in Peter's book.  Myself, I plan on picking one recipe today and giving it a go. I'll let you know what and how it came out tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment