Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Friday, February 5, 2010

Light

Cooking?

So I'm at work this morning and believe it or not, we were having another send-off, with all sorts of goodies. ( Let me preface this by saying I made bagels last night and had already consumed two of them prior to this.)

 So I'm chowing on a slice of  Jane's breakfast pie, which was like a quiche with bacon and sausage and my god it was good- when I received a complaint about the blog , well not so much a complaint,more like a request......

 

Unknowingly (he he he.....) I have been posting a lot of high calorie recipes.  So the request was put forth, almost a challenge of sorts to see if I could post something lower in calories, but still flavorful.

Well, faithful readers I'm not one to back down from a challenge, even a lower fat one, so after a little research I found this recipe- 

Pork Tenderloin with a Ginger-Maple sauce from Cooking Light .



Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  chili powder
  • 1 1/4  teaspoons  salt
  • 1  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2  pounds  pork tenderloin, trimmed
  • Cooking spray
  • 2  tablespoons  butter
  • 1  cup  chopped onion
  • 2  tablespoons  bottled ground fresh ginger
  • 1  cup  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2  cup  maple syrup

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.
Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub pork with spice mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add pork. Cook 6 minutes; brown on all sides. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until thermometer registers 155°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
While pork bakes, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add ginger, and cook 4 minutes. Stir in broth and syrup, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring broth mixture to a boil; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Cut pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices; serve with sauce.

Maple syrup and ginger just sound right for the tenderloin.
So Laura,there it is. give it a whirl, I know I am.


2 comments:

  1. Humph. While it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your post, it reminds me of a story. 3 or 4 years ago I was working the Fatted Calf stall at the Berkeley Farmer's market and was asked by a woman, after looking around a bit, if we had something that wasn't made with so much fat. The Fatted Calf is a charcuterie. I lucked out and sold her beef jerky.

    xo, Biggles

    ReplyDelete