Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Monday, December 13, 2010

Pulled Pork.....

Had a hankerin' for puled pork sammies the other day. 
 Looked up a recipe- Found it on All recipes.com.

It was the perfect recipe-easy. Had great reviews, so who am I to argue?
It met my main criteria-easy to make on a weekend.

Went to the store, found my favorite butcher John, told him was I was doing and he said, "I made pulled pork last night!"

I said, "Show me what I need."
It was pork butt-they didn't haven't any 4 pounders, so he went and cut me one. 
(I doubled the the recipe from above)

 Here's the start pic
It cooks in root beer.
I did add a whole chopped onion, some garlic flakes, salt and pepper and a splash of worcestshire sauce.

Depending on your slow cooker it can take anywhere between 4-7 hours to complete. 
Mine runs hot, so it took about 5 hours.

Close to the end-
You've got to eyeball it-and when it starts to shred, well, it's time to pull.
I drained it, then shredded it.

Put it back in the slow cooker, dumped a bottle and a half of hickory smoked BBQ sauce on it and let it go for another 1/2 hour to absorb. 
(Sorry no pic-got distracted)

Then toast some buns or bread of any type, and serve with fries.
I had to put cheese on mine- and man were they good!
Very easy, very tasty, and yup, I'll do it again...........

Seriously, very good.

2 comments:

  1. OK, if you're serious about braised pork, try this one sometime - I learned it from the first restaurant I ever worked in.

    * 2-3 lbs of pork butt or shoulder, cut into 1/2" cubes
    * 1 lg can (33oz) whole or crushed tomatoes
    * 2-3 Tbs thyme (or more!)
    * 1/2 cup of brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup of cider vinegar
    * salt/pepper to taste

    Put all above into a big heavy pot, or slow cooker, bring to simmer, and cook the hell out of it! (maybe 3+ hours) Stir and taste occasionally - adjust ingredients as desired, and if it starts to get dry, add water.

    Eat on buns, or serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete