Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Thursday, November 25, 2010

French Onion Soup Recipe.....

There used to be a restaurant in Childwold , NY called Dumas's, which is currently The Thirsty moose.
It was and still is a popular snowmobiling destination.


The Dumas family ran it for years and it had awesome homestyle cooking.
When we'd go there when Dumas's still ran it I would always order the French Onion Soup-it was awesome. And I'd ask for the recipe and the chef, would laugh and shake his head and say, "Nope!"  
Alas, I couldn't make it at home.

A couple of weeks ago one of my co-workers at school, (who will remain nameless to protect the innocent) who used to be a waitress there told me before they sold to the new owners, she'd nabbed the recipe.
Ha! I can make it home. It's fairly straight forward, but I think what gives it distinct flavor is the Lambrusco-makes it sweet. 

I made it last night and it's very good-No pics because I was lazy. 
I want to get this down in case I lose the precious piece of paper the recipe is on.

So here it is, Dumas's French Onion Soup recipe as written verbatim.

2 large yellow onion
1 large red onion
3 pats butter
cracked pepper (lots of it)
1/8 cup Olive oil

Sizzle down
1/2 cup lambrusco
1 tsp. soy sauce

1 tsp. worcestshire sauce
8 cups water
1 tb. gravy master
2 tb. beef base.

Try it, you'll love it!

And if you're in the area, give the Thirsty Moose, their food is pretty darn good too!


No comments:

Post a Comment