Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

It's all about the box.........

OK- Threatened a post about pizza... and that will come, but for now we'll just stray a bit.

Earlier in the day on FB, pizza master  Adam Kuban posted a pic of a new box that Pizza Hut has put out, well actually a Triple Box.



Not sure if it's in the U.S. yet, but yes, a 3 pie box. 

Adam's comment was about the assembly of such a monster, and I'd think it would be a pain in the ass.  Imagine getting 50 or a 100 of those ready for the night. 
Fortunately I don't have to!

So for some strange reason, I started thinking about pizza boxes.

(The pizza is another topic for another day, this is not about Pizza Hut pizza today. I can recall some pretty good discussions on Slice about The Hut and the quality or lack thereof of it's pie. We'll save that for another day.)

If you were a fan of Adam's pizza blog Slice on Serious Eats a few years ago, you may remember posts about Scott Wiener and his pizza box collection, which numbers in the 1000's.

Yes, there are some of us obsessed with the box.

Now, basically the box is a vessel for delivery of the pie itself. I mean did you ever buy a pizza because the box was cool? I think not.

On the other hand we can consider the box itself a blank canvas that begs for art and innovation.
I can see where Scott gets obsessed with boxes. 
They're different, they're collectible, they're friggin' cool and they're probably a fire hazard!


Your basic box...
Old school, dressed up a bit.....


Love the Chef!


So being the inquisitive type I google Pizza Hut box, just because, and here's what I find, I suspect some are from points across the ocean. 

Well if there's  triple box, there's got to be a double, right?




And the Big Box....





The Big Variety Box.....



The Fun for All Box!




And the Flatbread Box.....



Marketing is a funny thing. Does it work?

Well; I must confess to buying a big box in Oswego last year.
Yeah, I got sucked in.
I saw it advertised somewhere and being a pizza head I went and bought one.

(I said I won't talk Pizza Hut pizza, and as much as I would like to say it kind of sucked, I'll reserve comment.)

So waddya think about the box?

Hey, stay hungry my friends!















3 comments:

  1. Well, to be perfectly honest amigo, I don't give a rat's rear for the box! When I think pizza (which is often), I just make my own - and although some may beg to differ, I have convinced myself that my home version can beat whatever's in any of those boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete