Tupper Lake, November 6, 2012 by Jeff Boucher

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese and Puppy Pics!

Geesh, last night it was Monday, and we all know Monday's suck right?
So what to make?
Grilled cheese of course, with some canned tomato soup.

So off I run to the local market, I grab American  cheese, Swiss cheese, and a loaf of Sourdough Italian.
Came home, fried up some bacon for the sammies, went to make the soup and whoops!

I forgot to buy canned tomato soup, which is easy to make on a Monday, because Monday's suck!

Alright, it's decision time-Do I run back to the store or make some homemade tomato soup?

You guessed right- I Googled Quick Tomato Soup and here's what I found.


 I cut most of the recipe in half. But played a lot.
Here's the original recipe.

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 teaspoon dried herbs, such as thyme, oregano, rosemary or basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
 What I Did
-Splashed the Evoo into the pot
-I can of crushed tomatoes
-5 or 6 cloves of garlic
 -Crumbled upsome dried basil from our garden, a couple of leaves
-Sprinkled in crushed red pepper flakes
 -1/2 cup of water
-Sprinkled in some sugar
-1 cup of 1% lowfat milk
-Salt and pepper to taste
(I'd be remiss if I didn't say I added some crumbled, (really crumbled, fried crisp) bacon to the soup)

Simmered it for about an hour, after all it was "Quick" soup.

So I cut some of the recipe ingredients in half and I eyeballed other stuff. 
That's the cool thing about cooking a lot- you get more intuitive about what works for you.

The soup was pretty good. Lends itself to modifications, but for a quick soup and a means to dunk the grilled cheese it was perfect.

Here's the evidence.

Not bad, IMHO.

Grilled cheese were basic- 
-Freihoffer's Italian Sourdough-butter side down on the pan
-1 slice American
-Bacon slices on top of the American
- A slice of Swiss Cheese
-Another buttered slice of bread on top

Cook the Sammies until they look right-that's a personal choice, my choice is like the above pic.

The soup and sammies were perfect for a Monday, and we all know...... Mondays .......

P.S. Here's the Puppy Pics!
Sit! Stay!

OK Daddy, this is getting old!

Stay Hungry My Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment